Fukui University of Technology, Fukui
May 24 - 26, 2024 | Friday - Sunday
The JALT PanSIG 2024 Conference will take place from May 24th to 26th 2024 at Fukui University of Technology (福井工業大学) in Fukui. It will be a face-to-face event with live broadcast sessions and pre-recorded video presentations.
The theme for PanSIG 2024 is "Back to Basics". The pandemic has propelled us, virtually overnight, into a brave new world of online and hybrid environments. We have seen the emergence and proliferation of AI in language learning. With so much change, it is important to take stock. By going back to basics, we will consider how core principles in language learning relate to technology and the changing times.
PanSIG 2024 will be a welcoming forum for young teachers and researchers to join the JALT community. Research and practical workshops will be shared in an accessible way. PanSIG2024 brings people together to mentor and nourish fresh talent and new ideas. We encourage people new to research to join us, and actively participate. For more information about the conference, please explore our website or follow our social media https://pansig.org/social-media.
GENERAL GUIDELINES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- The call is open to both JALT and non-JALT members, in Japan or overseas;
- We especially encourage first-time presenters;
- Proposals should reflect the aims of the conference and relate to the research area of a specific JALT Special Interest Group (SIG). For more information check the JALT page at https://jalt.org/main/groups;
- Abstracts regarding research items or projects which are still incomplete at the time of submission may also be accepted;
- Abstract writing workshops take place periodically and are open to JALT members and non-members; check our website and social media networks for dates.
- We accept submissions in English and Japanese, French, Hungarian, German, Italian, Romanian and Spanish. For proposals submitted in languages other than English, we request a short description of its content in English for vetting purposes.
- Face-to-face presentation in Fukui (25 min.)
Present at Fukui University of Technology on one of the days of the conference. Free wifi internet connection is available. A great choice for people who want to interact live with the audience.
- Interactive poster session (40 min. including Q&A)
Present a research poster to a live audience at the event. Posters will be paper-based. Presenters must be on-hand to present and discuss their research throughout the session.
- Unvetted SIG Forum (85 Minutes)
Conditions and deadlines for this category will be sent out directly to SIG Representatives.
Proposals must be submitted by Sunday, January 14, 2024, at 11:59 pm (JST). Results will be sent via email from mid-February 2024. The revision deadline (when applicable) will be mid-March.
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
Presentation Proposals may be submitted from Wednesday, November 1st, 2023, through this link: https://forms.gle/bZDD6Z7JGkKprrdH8. When submitting your abstract, please provide the following information:
- PRESENTER INFORMATION: Names, affiliations (academic institution or workplace), and email addresses of each presenter, in order of the first presenter, second presenter, etc.;
- TITLE: No more than 75 characters (40 characters for Japanese), Title case capitalization;
- RELEVANT SIG: Please specify to which JALT SIG(s) your presentation relates;
- FORMAT: Face-to-face presentation (25 minutes), In-person interactive poster session (40 minutes including Q&A), or Unvetted SIG Forum (85 minutes);
- ABSTRACT: No more than 200 words in English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Romanian and Spanish, and 400 Japanese characters. This abstract will be used for vetting in the selection process and will appear in the conference handbook. Submissions that have fewer than 150 words may be declined for acceptance. For proposals submitted in languages other than English, we request a short description of its content in English for vetting purposes;
- KEYWORDS: Please list 2-4 keywords to classify your presentation;
- NOTES: Please indicate any special requests you have for your presentation. (Speakers must supply their own digital devices and any needed adapters).
NUMBER OF PRESENTATIONS PER PERSON
Each person may only submit one proposal as lead presenter and may only appear in one other proposal as a co-presenter or forum participant. Excess submissions will be deleted if a presenter is listed in more than two proposals. Since the whole proposal, not simply one presenter, will be eliminated, this will result in co-presenters being eliminated as well, even if they have not exceeded the limit for proposals.
Parvathy Ramachandran (PanSIG Conference Chair 2024) through our contact form.